December 24, 2019


Christmas Eve: Mary is in the kitchen driving me crazy, whipping up treats. Wonderful aromas are floating into my study while Mary insists that I touch nothing till tomorrow. Tonight we go over to our elder daughter-in-law's parents' house to eat Christmas Eve dinner and and have a gift exchange among the family. On the radio "Baby its Cold Outside" is playing.  It is totally inappropriate for Puerto Rico. I have the air-conditioner on. Today is 85 with sunshine. Puerto Rico is in all its winter glory. Our youngest son and his wife are here from Chicago. How could we want more: Christ in our hearts, and we, secure in His love, and surrounded by family! Life certainly has some sweet moments.

Jobos beach...near our home.

This is the last blog of the year. We hope the blogs have been concise, yet informative and well composed.  With that said, let me give you a few details that will bring you up-to-date and through the end of 2019. Since the 10th we have marked two endings and two beginnings; two funerals and two weddings. Tears of sorrow and tears of joys bathed the occasions. I have hope that those who died were believers in Christ and one of the two couples that married are including Christ in their marriage.

Birthday...again  😀
In my last blog I wrote, "We did our annual ministry fair last Sunday. Nearly everyone signed up to be involved in two or more of the church's twenty ministry opportunities. Our goal is 100% participation." Now, two weeks later, all but one or two stragglers have signed-up. Those remaining few will NOT escape ðŸ˜€!  I was making some corrections in the church directory and noticed the tally of families that compose our congregation is fifty-four. I want them all plugged in. 

There are nine new family units that helped compose our 2019 congregation. We lost four families so there was an uptick although the Sunday attendance does not always reflect the gain. A few members have to work on Sundays. One member is our primary worship leader. It is a vexing issue for us. Nevertheless, overall, we are regaining what was lost via moves after Hurricane Maria.

Christmas cantata

The last two Sundays were a delight. December 15th we enjoyed a Christmas concert. The guest band was excellent and the attendance rose to match the event.  Then, last Sunday, we did a Christmas cantata. Mary came up with the idea and put it together. It was a lot of work and at times stressful (as all special events are). Mary, as she fell in bed Sunday night, laughed and said, "I am not doing that again. What was I thinking!"  After the cantata the church shared Christmas dinner. Unbeknownst to me, my family had bought a cake to cut with the congregation. So as I entered the fellowship hall I was serenaded with three renditions of happy birthday by the whole church.

I will stop here. Merry Christmas. Thanks for your interest in our life and labors.


Johnathan and Mary

No comments: