June 8, 2022


Good afternoon. Hope all is well with everyone. Today is a quiet subdued day. I wouldn't call it melancholy...just subdued and quiet. I have been in my office planning, something that must be done regardless of the profession. Too often it is easy to let the calendar click by and do little. Years ago Robert Schuller from the Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove, CA (I am dating myself) once said, "He who fails to plan plans to fail." I believe that. I have to admit some of the things I plan require extra work. And, sometimes there is a thought that tugs at me in the back of my mind, "What if it doesn't work". A couple of responses came to mind. The first was a simple statement posted by a friend on Facebook. "A head full of FEARS has no room for DREAMS." Very true. Also, earlier, as I wrestled with my "what if" concerns, a few passages quickly popped in my mind, perhaps a nudge from the Spirit. "God has not given us a Spirit of fear (timidity) but of power, love and self-control".  And, "We are more than conquerors in Christ Jesus". And, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". And "I plant...but God gives the increase".  And, "It is God who works in us to will and do his good pleasure". The message was clear, "Get busy!"  

So what's cooking? From a personal perspective, Mary traveled to Chicago around mid-May for 10 days. She visited with our youngest son and his wife and then continued on to AR to visit with her sister and nieces for 4 days. We have not been off the island for 3 years. Mary commented she was getting cabin fever and needed to go to the States. I stayed behind. I am a homebody. 

Looking back over May. The church continues to meet inside. There are concerns but we go forward. Infection rates are around 32% of those tested and hundreds of islanders are hospitalized. Everywhere you go the vast majority of the people use masks. I watched a Cardinal and Tampa Bay Rays baseball game yesterday and it seemed as if no one wore a mask. Not so in PR. The vast majority do wear masks although not required by law except in a few select places.  It is recommended masks be used in enclosed gathering so we comply. 

Three events marked the month of May. First was Mother's Day, always a big event all across the
island. Our attendance was one short of 70. Gifts were given to the mothers. A carry-out dinner was served by the men and the service was as you would expect was dedicated to emphasizing our respect for the mothers in our congregation.

The following weekend an event entitled "Women with Purpose" was organized by one of the church members. I believe we had 19-20 attend the event. One of our worship leaders did the teaching.

Then the last Sunday in May we recognized the graduates and the youth/young adults in our church who made the honor roll for the school year. Gifts for the graduates and brownies for all with high grades. It was a simple event but positive.

Last Sunday I had the honor of baptizing a youth after she declared her faith in Christ and willingness to honor Him all the days of her life. The congregation was enthusiastic and very supportive of  her. We also had a guest speaker who told the odyssey of her child losing both kidneys and after a wait of years receiving a kidney. Our church had helped the family financially on several occasions and they wanted to express their thanks.

June and July are scheduled to the hilt. I will keep you informed as the events transpire.

As always, thanks for reading the blog. Below are a few photos of around here. Blessings!


Click to expand







No comments: